Strategic development funding for place-based giving schemes
This funding strand is now closed to new applicants
Funding to support the strategic development of place-based giving schemes that are part of the London’s Giving network, or which plan to become so.
City Bridge Trust believes that place-based giving schemes play a vitally important role in strengthening communities and harnessing their community assets. We are committed to increasing the quality and scale of giving in the capital and to supporting stronger, more open and inclusive links between those who give (of time, assets, skills and/or funding) and civil society.
Alongside the support offered by our Connecting the Capital funding programme we are launching a new, time-limited opportunity for place-based giving schemes to apply for funding to support their strategic development.
We are especially interested in proposals to enhance any existing funding you may have from City Bridge Trust through our Connecting the Capital funding programme.
Applications are invited for work which seeks to:
- Accelerate the strategic development of your scheme, which could include increasing your capacity to make grants or strengthening your capacity to collaborate with your donors and other partners.
- Test different models of participatory giving and engagement. This could include participatory grant-making but could also include other forms of community participation in local decision-making or social action.
- Seed-fund new and emerging schemes where the funding can leverage additional resources.
- Pool resources amongst local schemes. This could include (but is not limited to) sharing staff with expertise in communications; or fundraising; or corporate engagement.
- Enable a local scheme or schemes to take on specific expertise through a third party. This could include, but is not limited to, web development; use of data; marketing; development of grants systems.
Who can apply?
- Applications are welcome from both established and emerging schemes. You must either already be part of the London’s Giving Network or intend to join as your scheme develops. It will be a condition of grant that you are or become part of the Network.
- Applications are welcome either from individual schemes or from schemes wishing to work together as part of a consortium bid. If a consortium, one of the schemes will need to act as the lead partner.
- You may apply for this fund even if you already hold a Connecting the Capital grant for your scheme.
- If you receive funding from this fund it will not preclude you from applying for a Connecting the Capital grant.
How much can we apply for and for how long?
- There is no minimum or maximum amount and the size of your bid should reflect what you need to undertake the proposed work.
- We envisage most grants being up to around £250,000 but this is only indicative and we can award more or less than this amount depending on the nature of the application. This is a one-time investment and we encourage schemes to be ambitious with their proposals.
- Grants can be for up to three years’ duration.
- Grants are paid in quarterly instalments in advance. If funding is awarded you will have up to 12 months to draw down the first instalment of your grant.
To apply, please read the Apply Online page first. You will need to complete our Eligibility Quiz (now closed), to access our application form.
Please read the guidance notes in this Word document: London’s Giving SDF Application Guidance.
A Funding Manager will be appointed to assess your application and they may contact you for further information.
Whilst we cannot guarantee turnaround times, we will endeavour to respond within four months. We will notify you whether you are successful in your application or not.
We will undertake an equity review throughout our Strategic Development Funding – monitoring where applications are coming from, where funding is being awarded, and how we can do better at reaching and engaging communities which are especially disadvantaged and/or marginalised.
Applications are open from Thursday 3rd February 2022.
The closing date for applications is 5pm Thursday 17th March 2022.
This funding strand is now closed to new applicants.
If you wish to discuss your proposed applications before submitting, please contact Jenny Field on email@example.com.