Here’s some of the ways we have adapted our approach to meet the challenges presented to the sector during the COVID-19 virus:
Staying true to our values at a time like this is incredibly important. We recently adopted six new values: Progressive, Adaptive, Collaborative, Inclusive, Environmentally Responsive and Representative, and now is the time to make sure we are truly living them. Here’s some of the ways we have adapted our approach to meet the challenges presented to the sector during the COVID-19 virus:
- Trusting our Grantees: you know what is needed. We’ve worked closely with you during the grant assessment process. As much as possible, we will try to help you do what you feel is most needed, either directly or in conjunction with other funders.
- Acting fast and being generous: We know many organisations are juggling to keep staff safe, and volunteers on board. They have great needs to respond to, immediately. We commit to honouring current awarded grants and releasing extra funds as quickly as we can through the recently announced fund, or other mechanisms that may be possible.
- Being genuinely adaptive: we will ensure that grantees, in consultation with us, can move funds between budget headings wherever possible, without needing to jump through bureaucratic hoops and loops.
- Being collaborative: we will endeavour, even with our own staff shortages, to try and keep the channels of communication open with you, so that we can respond quickly, efficiently and in an informed way.
- Being reassuring: like many we are committed to paying grant instalments without a requirement for fully comprehensive reports, for now (although we do need some basic information which your Funding Manager can advise you on). As the crisis continues over the coming months, we will not expect you to be held accountable for achieving outcomes agreed before the virus hit, and we will take full account of this when it comes to reporting.
- Being representative and inclusive: we will actively seek to involve the diversity of London’s communities and voluntary sector in our approach. We will ask our funded organisations to help us identify communities that are at risk of being particularly excluded at this time and for solutions and approaches to empower and reach different communities.